As you may already know, the most popular poker type in the world is Texas Hold'em. Played by the vast majority
of online players - and the game of choice for tournaments, if you don't know how to play it now's the time to learn.
Texas Hold'em is a community card game, meaning players have shared cards dealt on the table along with a pair of 'down'
or 'hole' cards dealt to each player.
Here's how a game of Texas Hold'em works...
That's it! The last player 'called' shows his/her cards first, and the remaining players show their hand if
it beats it, or may opt to 'muck' (fold without showing) the cards if not.
- Two of the players to the left of the dealer must post a small blind and a big blind before seeing their first 2
cards. For example: On a $.50/$1.00 table the small blind would be $.25 and the big blind $.50.
- Once the blinds are in the dealer will deal 2 cards face down to each player.
- Then there is a round of betting.
- The dealer will deal 3 cards face up in the middle of the table. These cards are called the 'flop'.
- Then there is another round of betting.
- A fourth card is placed face up in the middle along side the flop. (The 'turn')
- There is another round of betting.
- Then the last card is placed face up, called the 'river'.
- There is the final round of betting.
Texas Hold'em can be played in one of three betting types - Limit; In which the table will have a fixed betting limit
for each betting round, Pot Limit; where players may bet up to the total amount in the pot at the time, or no-limit,
where players may bet their entire stack of chips at any time.